RED CHORI CURRY
- 1 cup aduki beans
- Pinch of baking powder
- 1 tsp boiling water
- Water as needed
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 fresh green chilli
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 4 Tbsp Kifaru Chilli Garlic Sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Handful of finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and add baking soda and beans; let soak overnight (6-8 hrs).
- Drain the water.
- Boil water in a medium-sized pot, add 1 tsp salt. Bring to boil, add the beans and 2 Tbsp oil.
- Boil the beans until they are soft. Drain the water.
- In a clean pot, heat the oil. Add the green chilli.
- Add the garlic paste and let it fry for a couple of seconds, then add the tomato puree, and salt to taste.
- Fry till the oil separates from the tomato mixture and the mixture darkens slightly.
- Add the beans to the tomato mixture.
- Add the 4 Tbsp KIFARU Chilli Garlic Sauce.
- Add 1/4 cup hot water.
- Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes on low heat for the beans to absorb flavour.
- Stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro before serving.
Serve with a green salad and enjoy!
PILI PILI FISH
- 200-250 grams white fish such as cod, halibut, snapper
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp SIMBA Pili Pili Sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Cut the fish into chunks
- Mix all the other ingredients together and cover the fish with the marinade
- Line an oven-proof dish with foil and oil it.
- Place the coated fish in the pan and cover; marinate the fish for several hours in the fridge.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes till the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with lemon and cilantro leaves.
Serve with jacket potatoes, green salad, or rice, and Enjoy!
KERI NU SHAAK (MANGO CURRY)
- Large, semi ripe mangoes
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1-2 tsp Green chilli paste
- 1 tsp Red chilli paste
- 1 tsp KIFARU Chilli Garlic Sauce
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint or coriander
- Soak the mangoes in water for 10-15 minutes. Cut the top off.
- Slice the mangoes into chunks with the skin.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- When it's hot add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add the mango pieces, salt and chilli pastes.
- Add water and mix well. Cover the pan.
- Let the mango cook over medium to low heat till softened.
- Add the red chilli powder, and KIFARU Chilli Garlic Sauce.
- Cover the pan and let the curry cook until the sauce is thick.
- Add chopped coriander or mint.
Serve with hot parathas, rice or a green salad and Enjoy!
BOKO-BOKO (HARISHA, OR LAMB PORRIDGE)
- 1 lb of lamb or mutton (chicken or beef could be used if preferred)
- 1 small cinnamon stick or one-quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Half tsp cumin powder or turmeric powder
- 1 tsp KIFARU Chilli Garlic Sauce
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups of bulgur wheat, or rice
- a few spoonfuls of ghee or butter
- Put the wheat into a large bowl and cover with water. Let it soak for a few hours or overnight. Drain it before cooking.
- Place the meat in a cooking pot. Add three cups of water for every cup of wheat. Add spices and KIFARU Chilli Garlic Sauce.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove meat (but not broth) from cooking pot and set aside. Stir wheat into the pot, cover, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Shred the lamb into small pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir until meat and wheat are well mixed. Cover tightly and continue to cook for two hours over very low heat.
- Check occasionally and add water if necessary.
- When wheat is tender and fully cooked, add ghee or butter, and stir.
Serve with warm breads and a green salad. Enjoy!
BROCHETTES (BBQ’D MARINATED LAMB)
- Cubed lamb, beef or chicken
- Sweet green and red peppers
- SIMBA Pili Pili Sauce
- Place the cubed meat, peppers and tomatoes on skewers.
- Coat with the SIMBA Pili Pili Sauce.
- Cover and leave for several hours.
- Cook the skewered meat on an outdoor grill.
- Baste with more Sauce as the skewers cook.
Serve with rice, bulgur wheat or green salad and warm bread. Enjoy!